Monday 4 August 2014

Been There, Done That

So after an eventful week, this was my final day on the road with The Dead Daisies.

As with a lot of these tours, there’s more hanging around than anything else. At 3pm I left my hotel with ‘Coldtrain’ the bus driver, this guy is a big personality and I hope the boys are fortunate to have them driving them again in future.

We picked up the band and headed for the venue.

There was a buzz of activity in the air when we arrived as sets were being erected and gear was being checked. After finding the dressing room I took a wander towards the stage to find Pat and Lee. Def Leppard was doing their sound check so I watched ‘Rock of Ages’ from the back.

Walking back to the dressing room I bumped in to none other than Paul Stanley minus make-up, I only read his book two weeks ago!

Tonight the guys had a sound check and watching side stage you knew they were going to kill it. Before I ran around the venue gathering the guys I was introduced to Eric Singer (drummer with Kiss) by Marco.

After sound check I grabbed some food from catering then headed side stage with boys for their second night on the road. They were on fire, and the constant water spray Brian had from Jon didn’t cool it down but created an amazing effect ever time Brian hit the soaked drums.

After playing their full seven songs set tonight they then had one of their best ever turn outs for signings. I handed button badges out to the kids in the line while Kat took some of their pics.

The last few hours were quite amazing. I met Def Leppards legendary road manager Mortimer who is a small Welshman with a big voice, Paul Stanley again, this time with make-up and Marco took my picture with him, then one of my all time favourite guitarists Phil Collen whom I also had a pic with. Then Gene Simmons appeared and the banter went in to overdrive as he dry humped Marco before asking Brian if he was the guy from ManoWar. He tapped my arm as he went past then we all went side stage to watch most of their show. I’ve seen KISS five times in 30 years but never from this angle!


We then headed back to the hotel on the bus and I said my farewells and had a pic taken with the band. So until next time, hopefully Europe before the end of the year, all fingers crossed, that was it for my second time out with boys.





No comments:

Post a Comment